I wanted to take a moment to write to my younger sisters and brothers. I am enjoying a significant birthday this year. I wanted to share whatever small amount of wisdom I can muster.
50 is good, a little creakier, but good. My insight keen, my sight, less so. 50 is strong. My body is strong, as is my spirit. I feel deeply and it’s soul quenching; the Aquarian is alive. I understand more, piecing together my place in this world- this foreign, lovely place. A sojourner making connections, like a painting I’ve been working on for a long time, and it’s beginning to show it’s form.
These are things I know:
- Love. Deeply.
- Be authentic
- Be thankful.
- Be good.
- Be honest- primarily to myself, the rest will follow.
- Be open.
- Be humble.
- That I am a teacher, a role model. My kids look up to me. My students look up to me. I have a responsibility to be kind and strong.
- That I have a responsibility. To let you know what’s coming next. To tell you that life is good but shitty things happen sometimes. To let you know that you are strong enough to move through it and it gets better.
- Everyone has hills. I like to imagine that everyone has a certain number of hills and each I pass one I’ve checked off one on my list and is fading in my rear view mirror. Do what it takes to get over the hill. Once you do, recognize your growth and understanding.
- Be a bitch.
- Forgive yourself for being a bitch and ask others for forgiveness.
- Do not be afraid. Fear is death.
Things I think:
- No one else is going to do it.
- I want to be on the right side of history.
- Be focused but enjoy the journey.
- I am tough. I am soft.
- I am a good friend.
- Women lead with strength, compassion and love.
- We have purpose. Our connections are not haphazard or serendipitous. I am a piece of a puzzle where my curves and sharp edges fit just right. Just right. Love and cherish the piece that you bring to the whole- don’t be afraid if it is different, celebrate it.
Things I wish
- We begin to recognize our own power. We begin to recognize our collective power.
- We organize and fight the fucking patriarchy.
- Someone would invent a good tasting fat free cheese.
Much love to you today.